How to Make a Bold Statement with Your Decor
Home decor stars are power players in your home
How do you spot a home decor star?
Just like any star, you’ll notice it as soon as you walk into the room and you’ll have a strong opinion about it.
Love or hate, all power players make an impression, outshine their companions, and can change the mood of the room. In the world of home design, there is an opportunity for any decor element to be the power player.
So how do you work with a power player in your home? I’ve got a few easy design tips to help you get started.
Moveable. The easiest way to try out a power element to a space is with moveable decor like furniture and accessories. If it doesn’t quite work for you in one space, you can try it out in another. Furniture, clocks, lamps, and other decor stunners can come in all colours, all shapes, finishes and all sizes.
Paintable. If you are thinking ‘hot pink dresser’ for your entryway, I’m a fan of yours. If it’s the first time you are indulging in a powerful design statement like this, I will ask that you give yourself a way to alter the colour by choosing something that is easy to paint. If you realize that the hot pink really isn’t working for you, you can always spray paint that dresser a gloss black. Still, a powerful statement, but more like the “Hello there, Mr. Mysteriously Intriguing Strong-Silent” type.
Functional. I know that the word functional isn’t something that should be used too much when we are running around fantasizing about oversized tufted dreamy purple velvet chaises, but if it doesn’t function, it probably won’t give you complete joy. Unlike other art, the world of home design is interactive. If the lime green table can’t be touched for fear of it teetering to one side and crashing on the floor, then the table might be perfect for a museum. Our homes are already maxed out with space-saving ideas, and, sadly, I know our 1,700 square foot home doesn’t have the space for a museum.
If you are a home and design geek like me, join me on Wednesdays at 1pmET for #HossColor Twitter chat. We have a new topic each week, and answer random design and color questions, too.
You may also be interested in ...
- Wallpaper, a popular decorative choice
- Home Decor Has No Boundaries
- Decorating with art
- DIY Deconstructed : Refrigerator
- DIY deconstructed with DRIcore
- DIY deconstructed: Water Feature
- Designed to Work: How Colour, Decor Affects Your Home Office
- Quick and Easy Holiday Decorating
- Hoss celebrity contributor wins world record
- Fashion trend trickles to home decor
- Danielle Bryk : Family friendly decor
- Contemporary Design Celebrated in Toronto
- 10 Quick Tips About Decluttering Your Home
- Designing a cottage with Alison Victoria
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Buying & Decorating with Art